[Coral-List] NYT Article on "Predatory Open-Access Journals"

Magnus Johnson m.johnson at hull.ac.uk
Thu Apr 25 14:27:13 EDT 2013

I agree - both have their place.  I subscribe and edit for the wonderful Journal of Crustacean Biology (http://thecrustaceansociety.org/Jrl-Crustacean-Biology.html) and value the fact it groups papers together around a theme and encourages me to read stuff I might not stumble upon otherwise.  I've also recently started editing for PeerJ, an exciting new OpenAccess venture (https://peerj.com/).

I like both because they promote access to more people through discounts for those from developing nations or self funded graduate students and the latter allows anyone to view its contents.  I would think this is particularly important for tropical research.

I used to depend upon MEPS, a traditional journal for much of my information but my university doesn't subscribe to the most up to date volumes because it is so expensive.  I have to access it by writing directly to authors.  That fact dissuades me from publishing in it.

Cheers, Magnus

Dr Magnus Johnson
Centre for Environmental and Marine Sciences
School of Biological, Biomedical and Environmental Sciences University of Hull
http://www.marine-biology.org.uk/

Associate Editor, Journal of Crustacean Biology, http://www.thecrustaceansociety.org
Editor: Johnson M & Johnson M (2013) The Ecology and Biology of Nephrops norvegicus (Adv. Mar. Biol.)

Nephrops project: www.nephrops.eu