[Coral-List] Diver damage/distance ...

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 9 09:59:51 EDT 2013

Dear Peter,

Your extensive baseline observations are well taken and many agree with you that diver distance from the reef regulations are not the best option for dealing with the depleted conditions found today on coral reefs world-wide. Although sea turtles and parrotfish foraging can do damage, undoubtedly we humans are directly associated with the more devastating means of destruction. Without finger-pointing, I do believe that our industry has a moral and ethical responsibility to do more to reverse this trend. I'm wondering if you agree and if you as a concerned leader would be willing to get more involved in efforts to get our industry and scuba divers to more aggressively address the "grander factors" you alluded to?

The local factors you mentioned are most certainly significant contributors to coral reef deterioration, but I would venture to guess that the vast majority of scientists subscribing to this forum would also be listing climate change as a primary concern if not threat number one. If divers are truly at the forefront and if as you say, they are charged with bringing the depleted conditions of coral reefs to the attention of the powers that be, shouldn't our industry through its umbrella organization DEMA be doing more than remaining silent on this overriding issue?

Warm Regards;
I value your input and  . . . I'm keeping an ocean mind.

Steve Mussman
Sea Lab Diving