[Coral-List] Reef restoration scientific diver positions, Seychelles
sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 12 05:18:01 EDT 2013
Dear Coral-listers,we are still recruiting reef restoration scientific divers in Seychelles. We need to fill several temporary posts (3 months each) for the January 1, 2013 to May 31, 2013 field season.
More details below. Follow link.Contact me directly off list if you have any questions.
Position title: scientific diver, reef restoration
Context: Nature Seychelles, a leading environmental NGO in the Western Indian
Ocean, has openings for 1-3 scientific divers to help implement
a 3-years USAID-funded project on coral reef restoration around Cousin and
Praslin island, Seychelles (for more information refer to www.natureseychelles.org).
The post holder will learn innovative techniques and methodologies for reef
restoration, participate in coral collection, rope nursery construction,filling and maintenance, transplantation of nursery-grown colonies and
monitoring. He or she will be able to work long hours on a boat,
fragmenting coral fragments and filling ropes, and conduct up to two dives
a day, notably transplanting nursery-grown colonies onto selected degraded
reef and monitoring transplantation success. The post holder will also be
required to help with dive equipment and boat/engine maintenance, data
analysis and scientific report writing, communication (website, tool kit).
Skills and requirements
- MSc in conservation or marine science
- Certified diver (minimum Dive master or equivalent) with strong scuba
- Boat license (RYA powerboat level 2 or equivalent) and significant
practise of boat driving
- High physical fitness and ability to work in harsh conditions
- Previous experience working in tropical marine conservation/research (coral
and fish monitoring an asset)
- Statistical packages, scientific data analysis and reporting
- Practically oriented and problem-solving skills>
- Diving equipment check-up and basic maintenance
- Underwater photography and video
- Ability to learn, appreciate and operate effectively in multi-cultural
- 3 months temporary placement, within the January 1-May 31, 2013 season.
- Location: Praslin Island, Republic of Seychelles
- Allowance of SCR7,000/month (about US$538 or £340)
- Shared accommodation
- Dive insurance (DAN or equivalent) to be provided by the volunteer
To apply: send cover letter, passport size photo, CV, copy of highest
scuba diving and boat driving certificate by email to
sarah at natureseychelles.orglink http://www.natureseychelles.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=394&Itemid=167
Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D. Coordinator Reef Rescuers ProgramIsland Conservation Centre Nature Seychelles,Amitie, Praslin, Seychelleshttp://www.natureseychelles.org-and-Research CollaboratorSmithsonian-National Museum of Natural Historyat Smithsonian Marine Station, Fort Pierce, FL, USATwitter: @GrouperDocBlog: http://grouperluna.wordpress.comhttp://independent..academia.edu/SarahFriasTorres
More information about the Coral-List