[Coral-List] Two articles and a blog post on Shark Week: Feedback requested

David Shiffman david.shiffman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 10:23:12 EDT 2013

Hello, everyone!

Shark Week 2013, despite some troubling content, was a great opportunity to
get actual facts out there due to increased public interest in sharks. In
addition to numerous interviews, I was asked to write about my perspectives
on Shark Week for Wired and Zocalo Public Square. I'd really appreciate
feedback on these, as well as feedback on a summary blog post on Southern
Fried Science, from the shark science and conservation community and the
science communication community. This feedback would probably be best
either through a private e-mail (no need to pester the entire listserv more
than I already have, unless you have a broader point to make that would be
of general interest)  or a comment on the actual article.

Zocalo Public Square article (my thoughts on Shark Week in general,
including my outreach strategy)
http://www.zocalopublicsquare.org/2013/08/08/dont-gnash-your-teeth-over-shark-week-shark-lovers/ideas/nexus/#.UgPvoxEycAs.twitter

Wired article (my reviews of the specific Shark Week 2013 specials):
http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/08/the-best-and-worst-of-shark-week-good-for-science-bad-for-tv/

Blog post: "A Shark Week 2013 retrospective...with memes" (Using internet
memes to look back at Shark Week 2013).
http://www.southernfriedscience.com/?p=15281

Thank you for your time and feedback, and for all the support!

Sincerely,

--

*David Shiffman*
*Ph.D. Student, Research Assistant,*

[image: RJD]

*e: *david.shiffman at gmail.com | *p: *412.915.2309
*a: *4600 Rickenbacker Cswy, Miami, Florida, 33149
*t: *@WhySharksMatter <http://twitter.com/#!/WhySharksMatter> | *b: *Southern
Fried Science Blog <http://www.southernfriedscience.com/>