[Coral-List] diver distance et al

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 13 16:17:56 EDT 2013

Dennis,
   Your analysis is spot on and I don’t think that anyone would argue with your logic. The only point I would question is the assumption that some are too focused on human-induced effects and that somehow makes them appear less concerned about previous natural impacts that have occurred over geological time. Major extinctions of long ago aren’t necessarily regarded as “OK”, it is just that their causes were not associated with human activity and therefore natural and unavoidable. We all question our omnipotence when considering the precise causes and appropriate mitigation strategies for the current coral reef crisis, but it appears certain that this time around we are directly involved. I think everyone is in agreement that even if present-day reef decline proves not to be a result of our “favorite factor” - cleaner air, water and healthier reefs are acceptable collateral results. Only problem is that it doesn’t look like we are getting any closer to implementing any meaningful mitigation strategies. We are too hung up arguing about the economic and esoteric costs associated with regulating carbon emissions and other harmful human-related behaviors. Perhaps it would be better if we were being threatened by a cataclysmic meteorite strike capable of initiating the planet’s sixth mass extinction. At least then we could say in retrospect that it wasn't OK, but we really couldn't have done much about it.

  Regards,
   Steve