[Coral-List] diver distance

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 16 11:20:26 EDT 2013

   Martin,

   It sounds like the SAC and the Sanctuary are developing an ambitious plan to
   restore and conserve coral reefs in the Florida Keys. Its comforting to know
   that comprehensive efforts like these are being formulated. I don't want to
   appear to be a detracting critic as is often the case with email messages
   that can easily be misinterpreted, but I have to ask about my "personal
   favorite".   Not  that  it  is the only issue deserving attention, but
   because science dictates. I noticed in your post that the second methodology
   focuses on the importance of economic factors. The well-founded goal would
   be to maintain the best natural ecology possible while still allowing for
   responsible economic use of natural resources. Is your committee considering
   the promotion of educational outreach related to the impending effects of
   climate change to be among its priorities?  I'm asking because I sincerely
   believe  that  we  can  work on efforts to address this threat without
   sacrificing essential economic opportunities (although admittedly it is
   proving difficult to convince entrenched business interests that these goals
   are   not   mutually   exclusive). I  continue  to  probe  this  topic
   with the conviction that the future of Floridaâs reefs will likely depend on
   efforts that extend even beyond a vision that accounts for extended MPA's
   and the beneficial merger of coral and Diadema restoration technologies.
   Regards,
    Steve