[Coral-List] FW: RE: What is a coral reef and where is it's edge?

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Tue Aug 27 11:49:23 EDT 2013

Robert's assessment that the definition of coral reef eliminates many thing
that should be considered "reef" is correct. However, it also lumps things
that are not "reefs" into that category as well. For this reason, I decided
a long time ago to discuss the question "what is a reef" only with friends
and in pubs.

The present spectrum of definitions make the term about as usual as calling
them "Bob". The challenge is to decide what FUNCTION we want to imbed in
our definition. Is is 3-D structure? Yes and no. Is it biodiversity? Yes
and no. Is it biologically produced? Well... that depends on what you mean
by "produced". Cores tell us that reefs tend to create structure (i.e.
accrete) at pretty much the same rate over the first 30-40m of water depth
and are not linked to coral-growth rates..... hmmmm! I know that's
counter-intuitive, but that's the data. So reef building, coral growth rate
and diversity are not as coupled as is widely assumed.

On another front, the same community on a flat bottom will provide
ecological services that are different from the same community on a highly
rugose surface. One might argue that the community is to some extent
limited by the topography... and, therefore, that the topography is also
determined by the community. The first seems to be the case while available
evidence argues against the latter. What does this tell us? I could
continue long after the most diligent members of the listserve hit the
delete button. So, the point is not that one definition is "better" than
another one, but more that we understand our generalizationswhen we define
reefs and think about how we extrapolate from what we choose to put into
that bin. A government definition is virtually guaranteed to violate all of
the above.

Dennis