[Coral-List] Distressing news for the whole Pacific Ocean.

Keven Reed reedkc at comcast.net
Wed Aug 28 21:24:36 EDT 2013

Dear Melissa and younger coral-listers,

    To add to Professor Szmant's post and perspective, many Americans have forgotten that tourists used to go to the upper floors of the Las Vegas hotels to glimpse mushroom clouds north of Las Vegas.  I was within 500 miles of 100 nuclear atmospheric tests/explosions by age 11 between early 1951 to July 17, 1962.  The plutonium tests started in 1955.  I was fortunate to live west of the Sierra Nevadas and north of Nevada in southern Idaho during most of those years, so I was usually upwind so to speak.

    This perspective is not to diminish the mistakes of the past or the present or anyone's suffering in Japan or in the desert southwestern USA, but I agree with Alina that one does not need to panic about their personal safety if they are living on the New World/American continents.  My wife is Japanese, BTW.  While cesium in plants and milk around the world is a concern, just do the math & physics, convert the rads/rems (the old units I grew up on) in to the newer SI units of Grays (Gy).  Approx' 400 rads or rems of gamma equal approx' 4 Gy.

    While 8 Gy whole body absorption is 100% fatal for humans, we routinely treat tumors with focused energy beams in the tens of Grays!

Fukushima is a very serious environmental problem, but look at the actual numbers on the radiation detectors on our West Coast before climbing out of one's skin.  Remember there are places in states like Maryland and Pennsylvania where one has to place a radiation detector to measure the natural background radiation from the rocks around a basement before closing a real estate deal on a private home sale.

Thanks for bringing this matter to everyone's consciousness again.

Keven

Keven C. Reed in Fleming Island, FL