[Coral-List] CCMI Operations Intern
manager at reefresearch.org
Mon Dec 23 16:00:12 EST 2013
CCMI Operations Intern
Little Cayman Research Centre, Cayman Islands
The Central Caribbean Marine Institute has an immediate opening for an enthusiastic Operations Intern to help with the logistics and day to day running of a busy marine research station.
We seek a well-organized individual who is able to think out of the box, work on his own or be part of a team and have an interest/background in marine sciences. This opportunity is for a recent college graduate with experience in diving, coral reef ecology, basic maintenance and have the ability to adapt and take initiative.
The position is physically demanding and all interns contribute to the daily task of running a remote field research station and will participate in the weekly cleaning at the field station.
The Operations Intern reports directly to the Director of Operations / Field Station Manager
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Help run and setup the day-to-day logistics
Assist the Director of Operations
Assist the maintenance manager with monthly and preventative maintenance tasks or projects
Provide diving and boat support for Research projects and Education programmes
Help receive food, equipment and supplies to the station.
Provide general support and logistics for visitors to the station.
Keep the research station clean and tidy.
· Help establish a high-profile local (Little Cayman) communications and volunteer effort
· Offer talks at local resorts that includes current research and conservation staff.
· Conduct weekly tours at the field station
· Assist with a new volunteer effort on the island
· Help update our Facebook and Dollar-a-Dive programmes
Reports and Other Responsibilities
· Document activities with photographs and videos.
· Complete assessments of every project
6 days/week, full-time
6 month internship
COMPENSATION / BENEFITS:
· Small monthly living stipend
· Room and 3 meals a day at the research station (shared accommodations)
· Travel reimbursement up to $250
· Marine Science related Degree
· Divemaster or above (must maintain DAN insurance)
· Excellent communications, social networking, and computer skills.
· Maintenance, technical and coral reef biology experience a plus
Applications to ccmiapplications at reefresearch.org Please submit a letter and CV (with a list of 3 references) via email. Applicants will be reviewed upon receipt. Application deadline January 5th 2014. Preferred start date January, 2014.
CCMI is an equal opportunity employer
Director of Operations
Central Caribbean Marine Institute
Little Cayman Research Centre
P.O. Box 37
Little Cayman, KY3-2501
Phone: (345) 948-1094, 321-8732
Sustaining biodiversity through research, education, outreach and conservation
More information about the Coral-List