[Coral-List] CCMI Education Intern

CCMI manager at reefresearch.org
Mon Dec 23 16:01:17 EST 2013

CCMI Education Intern

Little Cayman Research Centre, Cayman Islands

The Central Caribbean Marine Institute has an immediate opening for a creative Education Intern to help market and promote our K-12 and college level programs, recruit students internationally, and teach our education and outreach programs at the Little Cayman Research Centre.   Our programs are designed to improve ocean literacy and conservation interests in local and international students through residential short courses.

We seek a well-organized individual who is an excellent communicator, and who has marketing and social networking skills, and who enjoys teaching students of all ages. This opportunity is for a recent college graduate (MS-Level) with experience teaching marine science and with knowledge of coral reef ecology. Basic underwater photography, ability to create newsletters, maintain webpages, and the ability to compile large databases are important skills for the successful candidate.

The position is a physically demanding position.  All interns contribute to the daily task of running a remote field research station and will participate in the weekly cleaning at the field station.

The Education Intern reports directly to the Director of Operations / Field Station Manager and primarily assists the Education and Programme Coordinator.

DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:

Education Responsibilities include:

An instructor for all local K-12 programs (Ocean Literacy, Eco-Course Programs, Sea Camp and the Young Environment Leadership Course) and teacher workshops.
Maintain our local Ocean Literacy outreach activities
Teaching Assistant for all CCMI college courses.
Assist college students with field research internships.
Help promote programs and fully enrol our resident CCMI programmes including our Sea Camp, Young Environmental Leadership Course, and College courses.

Outreach

·       Help establish a high-profile local (Little Cayman) communications and volunteer effort including:
-      Offer weekly talks at local resorts that includes current research and conservation staff.

-        Conduct weekly tours at the field station

-        Assist with a new volunteer effort on the island

-        Help manage and update the Facebook page increasing likes and friends

-        Assist with a YouTube series that covers the research, conservation, and education programs.

·        Develop our Dollar-a-Dive campaign to increase participation to establish a database of 1000 members

Reports and Other Responsibilities

·       Assist the Education Coordinator in producing a quarterly Education and Conservation newsletter, press releases and educational articles.

·       Document all activities with photographs and videos.

·       Complete Assessments of every program and provide a quarterly report of these outcomes. Compile survey results from students, teachers, and scientists (all guests), and compile testimonials, and summaries of each of the local educational programs carried out at the Little Cayman Research Centre.

Assist in completion of an Annual Education and Outreach Report (for sponsors) at the end of the season (August 30) with an assessment of the entry and exit knowledge gained by program participants.
·       Assist the Director of Operations as needed on General tasks and projects.

TERM:

6 days/week, full-time
6 month internship

COMPENSATION / BENEFITS:

·       Small monthly living stipend

·       Room and 3 meals a day at the research station (shared accommodations)

·       Travel reimbursement up to $250

QUALIFICATIONS:

·       Marine Science related and/or Teaching MSc Degree

·       Divemaster or above (must maintain DAN insurance)

·       Excellent communications, social networking, and computer skills.

·       Teaching experience and coral reef biology a plus

Applications to ccmiapplications at reefresearch.org Please submit a letter and CV (with a list of 3 references) via email.  Applicants will be reviewed upon receipt.  Application deadline January 3rd 2014.  Preferred start date February 2014.

CCMI is an equal opportunity employer