[Coral-List] Underwater Compressed Air System (Energy Storage)

John Ware jware at erols.com
Tue Feb 5 12:15:11 EST 2013

Milton,

Their website does not seem to provide and technical details such as
volume and stored pressure.  There is an implication that the air would
be stored at the ambient pressure at depth ("the weight of the water
pushes the air back to the surface").  Obviously, a higher pressure is
required to push the air into the containers but it would appear as if
the storage are not high-pressure vessels.

This does not mean that I think this works.  For example, the word
"adiabatic" is used and that would appear to be physically impossible.

John
(just so you know: BSME, MSME, PhD, all in engineering)

RainbowWarriorsInternational wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>Sorry for cross listing, but I need URGENT info on the potential dangers to marine life and ecosystems of  Underwater Compressed Air System (Energy Storage) as developed by HydroStor in Canada when used off the coast in Caribbean coastal waters.
>
>regards
>

>Milton Ponson, President
>Rainbow Warriors Core Foundation
>(Rainbow Warriors International)
>Tel. +297 568 5908
>PO Box 1154, Oranjestad
>Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
>Email: southern_caribbean at yahoo.com
>http://www.rainbowwarriors.net
>
>To unite humanity in a global society dedicated to a sustainable way of life

    *                      John R. Ware, PhD                    *
    *                         President                         *
    *                      SeaServices, Inc.                    *
    *                     302 N. Mule Deer Pt.                  *
    *                    Payson, AZ 85541, USA                  *
    *                       928 478-6358                        *
    *                      jware at erols.com                      *
    *                 http://www.seaservices.org                *
    *                   Member of the Council:                  *
    *            International Society for Reef Studies         *
    *                                          _                *
    *                                         |                 *
    *   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *
    *     |\/__       Untainted by Technology            \      *

If you are a coral-reef scientist and you are not a member
of the International Society for Reef Studies, then
shame on you.
Become a member of the International Society for Reef Studies
http://www.coralreefs.org