[Coral-List] Exotic vs. Invasive.

David.A.Gulko at hawaii.gov David.A.Gulko at hawaii.gov
Fri Feb 15 15:54:03 EST 2013

Actually, a native species can become invasive if conditions change, for
example, a nutrient pulse into an environment might cause a native algae
to become invasive and start to overgrow coral or other native algae... or
a crown-of-thorns seastar larval settlement event could create a localized
invasion on a reef resulting in heavy coral loss where a season before
there was not such an event but the native crown-of-thorns was present;
hence NOT all "invasive" species are "exotic".  They key point to a
species being invasive is if it causes detrimental changes to a native
habitat whether it is exotic or not.

- Dave

Dave Gulko, Aquatic Biologist IV - Coral Reefs, NRD Incident Response
Division of Aquatic Resources
Hawai?i Department of Land & Natural Resources
1151 Punchbowl Street, room 330
Honolulu, HI  96813

(808) 587-0318 (o), (808) 587-0115 (fax)
(808) 294-4280 (cell)
david.a.gulko at hawaii.gov

NOTE: The opinions and/or information presented in this email do not
necessarily reflect the views of the Department of Land & Natural
Resources or the State of Hawai?i.  Unless otherwise stated, this email is
for use only by the individual(s) listed above.

Steve Gittings - NOAA Federal <steve.gittings at noaa.gov>
Sent by: coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
02/15/13 10:38 AM

John Ware <jware at erols.com>
cc
"coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov" <coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>
Subject
Re: [Coral-List] Exotic vs. Invasive.

John - the folks that study these critters tell me that "non-indigenous" =
"exotic," and that these species only are considered "invasive" when they
have detrimental impacts on native species or ecosystems.  Thus, not all
exotic species are invasive, but all invasive species are exotic.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 11:26 AM, John Ware <jware at erols.com> wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> Ken Marks recent post concerning Tubastraea micranthus reminded me of an
> incident that occurred on a recent trip to Bonaire.  A divemaster was
> bemoaning the "invasion" of lionfish.  When I mentioned that the "poster
> coral" for Bonaire (Tubastraea sp) was invasive, I was severely
> chastised.  Lionfish were "invasive", Tubastraea was "exotic".
>
> I noted that Ken Marks used both "exotic" and "invasion" in his e-mail.
>  I had never thought about the distinction before.
>
> After Googling around a bit, I concluded that if the species under
> consideration was sort of cute, it was "exotic".  If it was ugly, it was
> "invasive".
>
> While that is a vast oversimplification, I wonder if the coral-reef
> community distinguishes "exotic" from "invasive" and, if so, is there a
> precise definition of the difference?
>
> John
>
> --
>     *************************************************************
>     *                                                           *
>     *                      John R. Ware, PhD                    *
>     *                         President                         *
>     *                      SeaServices, Inc.                    *
>     *                     302 N. Mule Deer Pt.                  *
>     *                    Payson, AZ 85541, USA                  *
>     *                       928 478-6358                        *
>     *                      jware at erols.com                      *
>     *                 http://www.seaservices.org                *
>     *                                                           *
>     *                   Member of the Council:                  *
>     *            International Society for Reef Studies         *
>     *                                          _                *
>     *                                         |                 *
>     *   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *
>     *                                        _|_                *
>     *                                       | _ |               *
>     *        _______________________________|   |________       *
>     *     |\/__       Untainted by Technology            \      *
>     *     |/\____________________________________________/      *
>     *************************************************************
>
> If you are a coral-reef scientist and you are not a member
> of the International Society for Reef Studies, then
> shame on you.
> Become a member of the International Society for Reef Studies
> http://www.coralreefs.org

Dr. Steve Gittings, Science Coordinator
NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries
1305 East West Hwy., N/ORM62
Silver Spring, MD  20910
(301) 713-7274 (w), (301) 529-1854 (c)