[Coral-List] Call for Abstracts - 2 sessions on climate and corals at the AGU Meeting of the Americas

Karsten Shein karsten.shein at noaa.gov
Mon Jan 7 10:36:46 EST 2013

Dear Colleagues,

Climate variability and change plays an important role in the health and
sustainability of marine ecosystems.Marine resource managers must have a
clear understanding of the ways in which the climate may be affecting
the ecosystems under their stewardship.This understanding requires both
a solid scientific foundation of the climatic behavior that drives
ecological impacts, as well as vehicles for effectively transmitting
that information to the managers who must utilize it.

To address these needs, we are pleased to invite abstracts for two
topical sessions at the American Geophysical Union's Meeting of the
Americas, to be held in Cancun, Mexico June 14^- 17, 2013.These sessions
are "[U12]: Identifying and Quantifying Critical Climatic Conditions for
Coral Reef Ecosystem Impacts", and "[IN02]: Methods for Integrating
Climate Information into Marine Resource Management" -- session
abstracts are provided below.Papers addressing emerging research on
ecological climate impacts and complex climate-ecosystem
interrelationships (e.g., range shifts/extensions, multivariate
behaviors, etc.), approaches for defining climate-related management
questions, and innovative tools for connecting marine managers with
relevant climate information are especially encouraged.Selected
presenters may also be asked to contribute to special editions of
topical journals.

Abstracts should be submitted electronically via the Meeting web site
(http://moa.agu.org/2013/) with a deadline of February 6^th .If you have
any questions about either session, please do not hesitate to contact
one of us.Thank you, and please accept our apologies if our
cross-postings resulted in you receiving multiple announcements.

Sincerely,

Karsten Shein

NOAA National Climatic Data Center, Asheville, NC

Karsten.Shein at noaa.gov <mailto:Karsten.Shein at noaa.gov>

Jim Hendee

NOAA Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory, Miami, FL

Jim.Hendee at noaa.gov <mailto:Jim.Hendee at noaa.gov>

Pamela Fletcher

Florida Sea Grant, Miami, FL

Pamela.Fletcher at noaa.gov <mailto:Pamela.Fletcher at noaa.gov>

*U12: Identifying and Quantifying Critical Climatic Conditions for Coral
Reef Ecosystem Impacts*

Climatic impacts are a top threat to coral reef ecosystems. These
include storm damage and health impacts from exposure to extreme
temperatures or water quality changes from heavy rain events. Although
some connections between climatic conditions and impacts on individual
species have been established (e.g., water temperatures and coral
bleaching), the identification, quantification, and geographic coherence
of more complex climate-ecosystem interrelationships remain elusive. We
invite papers on topics that advance our understanding of climatic
conditions or behaviors (e.g., probability, extremes, spatial coherence,
scaling, multivariate models) as they relate to changes in coral reef
ecosystems.

*IN02: Methods for Integrating Climate Information into Marine Resource
Management*

Marine resource management requires the integration of data and
information from many disciplines. Multidisciplinary requirements often
mean managers must identify, interpret, and communicate information from
unfamiliar fields. Incorporating climate information is a clear example.
The issue is how can climate information be developed and delivered to
optimize its use and minimize misinterpretation by marine managers? We
invite papers that address methods of information production, access,
delivery and/or support services to help managers obtain, use, and
understand climate information. Research evaluating marine managers'
climate data needs, knowledge gaps, and/or use or barriers to use is
particularly encouraged.

--
*Karsten Shein, Ph.D.*
/Climatologist / Climate and Marine Ecosystems Lead/
T: +1.828.271.4223 . F: +1.828.271.4022 . E: Karsten.Shein at noaa.gov
/No uncertainty, no exploration. No exploration, no discovery. No
discovery, no certainty./

Unless explicitly attributed, any opinions expressed in this message are
mine.