[Coral-List] Majuro video

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Mon Jan 7 13:36:36 EST 2013

Hi Dennis:

President Clinton signed back in 1998 a Presidential Executive order protecting coral reefs.  This Exec Order requires every federal agency to self-examine and reduce any damage to corals for everything they do that could potentially affect coral reef condition. A committee named the US Coral Reef Task Force was established and consisted of the heads of all of the Executive Branch departments (or their designates)and other Federal Agency heads. This includes the FAA. It was initially chaired I believe by Sec. of Interior Bruce Babbitt, a committed environmentalist. I attended several of the early Coral Reef Task Force meetings, and it really seemed that there was some serious dialogue going on.    I recall discussions with high up US Navy and other military folks about their impacts on coral reefs (e.g. practice bombing in Vieques), and lots of fisheries regulation discussions.  I have not been to these meetings for a while now, but see postings that they are still happening.  Unless Presidential Orders expire, that Task Force should still be in force and in fact, has the responsibility to decide whether the FAA is authorized to cause major coral destruction for a greater (national security) good.  Does anyone know if the US Coral Reef Task Force officially sanctioned this dredging?  Is there circumvention of an official US policy going on?

Alina

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Professor of Marine Biology
Center for Marine Science and Dept of Biology and Marine Biology
University of North Carolina Wilmington
5600 Marvin Moss Ln
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
tel:  910-962-2362  fax: 910-962-2410  cell: 910-200-3913
http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta