[Coral-List] Fw: Fwd: Proposed Coral Listing

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 02:56:54 EST 2013

Jon,

    NOAA is actually not only aware of captive propagation to save
endangered species, they actually play an active role along with several
partners in a project to save the only marine invertebrate the US has ever
listed as an endangered species, white abalone, located in California.
They say on their web page:

"Aquaculture techniques such as captive breeding can be an effective tool
to support populations of imperiled species. NOAA and its partners are
supporting a captive breeding program at the University of California -
Davis’s Bodega Marine Lab. Using aquaculture techniques, the program seeks
to reliably produce captive-bred animals that will be used to establish a
self-sustaining population in the wild."

   The web page is at

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/aquaculture/homepage_stories/08_27_12abalone.html

I thank Steve Mussman for pointing this out to me.

Cheers,  Doug