[Coral-List] Shifting baselines

frahome at yahoo.com frahome at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 10:23:46 EST 2013

I think it is useful to remind us now and then about this dangerous syndrome. It definetely applies to coral reef ecosystems and here we are not talking about changes over geological times.

A short and simple TED talk from Daniel Pauly on the subject and two quotes out of it:
"We transform the world, but we don’t remember it. We adjust our
baseline to the new level, and we don’t recall what was there."

>"Before an animal becomes extinct, it becomes rare. So you don't lose abundant animals. You always lose rare animals."
>

>http://www.ted.com/talks/daniel_pauly_the_ocean_s_shifting_baseline.html

Francesca