[Coral-List] Inquiry to the Coral-l list....

mtupper mtupper at coastal-resources.org
Fri Jan 11 11:11:49 EST 2013

Hi Mike and List,

One thing I have often heard from reef aquarium hobbyists is that they sometimes
remove live rock from their tanks and boil it to kill off any unwanted organisms
that might compete with the coral species they plan on stocking. Several people
have posted warnings on reef aquarium blogs to be very careful when boiling live
rock containing zooanthids, because the fumes are highly toxic and "someone
almost died" from inhaling the fumes. The fact the person who almost died was
always nameless and referred to in the singular led me to believe this was just
an urban legend, but perhaps someone with more reef aquarium experience than I
would know better.

Cheers,
Mark

Dr. Mark Tupper
Coastal Resources Association
207-10822 City Parkway, Surrey, BC, Canada V3T 0C2
www.coastal-resources.org
Email: mtupper at coastal-resources.org
Tel. 1-604-588-1674; Mobile: 1-604-961-2022

Philippines Office:
Poblacion, Sagay, Camiguin, Philippines 9103
Tel. 63-927-921-9915