[Coral-List] Fw: ADMAT - Sea Urchins eating iron cannons and granite blocks...

Bill Allison allison.billiam at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 12:37:39 EST 2013

That an interesting investigation Dennis. I see a lot of such behaviour
with seagrass blades in growth position used in addition to loose debris
and assumed it also contributes to stability vs wave action in shallow
water. Related to solar radiation:
Adams, N. L. (2001). "UV radiation evokes negative phototaxis and covering
behavior in the sea urchin Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis." MEPS 213:
87-95.
Abstract
Intertidal and subtidal Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis (Müller) often
hide among rocks or cover themselves with debris, including macroalgae,
mussel shells, and pebbles. Similar reactions in other species of sea
urchins have been interpreted as a response to bright sunlight. This study
examined the response of S. droebachiensis specifically to ultraviolet
radiation (UVR). In laboratory studies using artificial irradiation, S.
droebachiensis exposed to UVR (290 to 400 nm) and photosynthetically active
radiation (PAR, 400 to 700 nm) sought shade and covered themselves
significantly more frequently than those exposed only to PAR. In outdoor
aquaria, individuals were exposed to ambient solar radiation that was
filtered to create 4 treatments (dark, PAR, PAR + UVA, or PAR + UVA + UVB)
and observed for 6 h as total solar irradiance changed with time of day.
Sea urchins covered themselves with significantly more material when
exposed to PAR + UVA + UVB than in all other treatments, and in response to
total irradiance. The amount of covering by sea urchins exposed to PAR +
UVA (320 to 400 nm) varied over the course of the day, but were typically
less than those exposed to UVB (295 to 320 nm). These sea urchins covered
themselves more than those exposed to PAR alone or held in the dark. Sea
urchins exposed to PAR alone did not differ in the amount of covering from
those held in the dark, regardless of time of day. The amount of covering
correlated significantly with UVB and UVA irradiance independently, but not
PAR irradiance. This study does not rule out that multiple cues may cause
the covering response, but it demonstrates that S. droebachiensis seeks
shelter and covers itself in response to UVR, primarily UVB wavelengths or
a combination of UVA and UVB, presumably to avoid UV-induced damage.

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Dennis Hubbard <dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu