[Coral-List] Inquiry to the Coral-l list....

Bill Allison allison.billiam at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 12:41:41 EST 2013

That may have a basis in fact:
Moore, R. E. and P. J. Scheuer (1971). "Palytoxin: A New Marine Toxin from
a Coelenterate." Science 172(3982): 495-498.
    abst
Palytoxin has been isolated from the zoanthids "limu-make-o-Hana"
(Tentatively identified as Palythoa sp.) as a noncrystalline,
chromatographically pure entity. Apart from polypeptide and protein toxins,
it is the most highly toxic substance known, with a lethal dose (LD$_{59}$)
in mice of 0.15 microgram per kilogram by intravenous injection. Unlike the
potent toxins batrachotoxin, saxitoxin, and tetrodotoxin which have
molecular weights of 500 or less, playtoxin has an estimated molecular
weight of 3300 and contains no repetitive amino acid or sugar units.