[Coral-List] alien humpback groupers RE: new mystery fish

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 22 12:00:20 EST 2013

John,I will be cautious promoting fishing contests to get rid of alien, yet to be determined if invasive, Indo-Pacific humpback groupers.
There are many recreational fishers (anglers and spearfishers) that know their fish and can serve as role models due to their deep concern about fishing sustainably, following catch and size limits, and an overall respect for the ocean.
Unfortunately, there are even more fishers who can't tell one grouper species from another. Unlike efforts to eliminate invasive Indo-Pacific lionfish, where you have to be brain-dead to confuse lionfish with something else, chasing after a grouper species, even if invasive, can lead to mis-identification and unrestricted killing of managed and protected native grouper species. This is specially acute in Florida, where we have both resident and migratory (snowbirds, weekend, trans-american) fishers.
I think the time has come, as the Walrus said, to talk about accountability in the aquarium trade and aquarium hobbyists. I was expecting more transparency and cooperation from the aquarium lobby due to the massive lionfish invasion, but I don't see much change. So perhaps we should bring them to the conversation, and we do it sooner rather than later.
By the way, Florida, and particularly Miami, is the epicenter, the port of entry of aquarium exotics for the U.S. and the Atlantic region. The mythical place where the lionfish invasion began. Florida could also lead the way to a more responsible aquarium trade and hobbyist use.

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D. Research CollaboratorSmithsonian-National Museum of Natural Historyat Smithsonian Marine Station, Fort Pierce, FLTwitter: @GrouperDocBlog: http://grouperluna.wordpress.comhttp://independent.academia.edu/SarahFriasTorres