[Coral-List] Dive marshalls

Magnus Johnson m.johnson at hull.ac.uk
Fri Jan 25 12:58:49 EST 2013

Having led a couple of student trips to Dahab, Egypt (students were
learning scientific diving skills) it's pretty clear that the local
recreational dive-training/guiding community can be almost hysterical
about divers touching reefs.  I once had a local instructor (not with my
group) pounce on me underwater and drag me away from the reef when I was
carefully peering onto a crevice.  I think her behaviour actually
resulted in me banging into the reef!

However the local dive-training community is probably the best route to
ensuring adequate protection from diver damage. They need to be educated
too but many of them care deeply about their resource.

Cheers, Magnus