[Coral-List] Dive marshalls

Yasser Saied yassersaied70 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 28 16:07:12 EST 2013

Dear Julie and All,

guess the place you are talking about near MarsaAlam, Southern Red Sea called AbuDabab
Bay, which is very popular diving site famous for the sea grass bed that
attract many marine turtles and also Dugongs as regular visitors to the bay for
feeding purposes.

Due to
high popularity of the shallow bay as diving site and sandy beach, The site and
marine life is subjected to a high impacts from snorkeling and diving pressur. Unfortunately
is located out of the Marine Park borders and not declared as a protected area yet.
So far the Marine Park Authority is trying to implement some sort of control,
public awareness campaigns and guidelines to be implemented, this is carried out
voluntarily in cooperation with the users and diving community over there. The snorkeling
guides you mentioned is a result of that management activity.

Currently,
I think this is good at the end but not enough regarding high visitors numbers
and popularity, I agree it may needs more control measures and legislations. The
site is on the agenda of the Marine Park Authority for future consideration to
be declared as MPA or specially managed area as soon as the political and
economic situation in Egypt settle down, keep fingers crossed.

Another
site that I'd like to mention, situated also outside the Marine Park borders'
and located further down to the south near AbuDabab bay is the Samadi reef
where large spinner dolphins population use it as a nursery ground and shelter
reef,  A similar situation applied and
was suffering from excessive pressure due to large numbers of visitors and
absence of strict environmental control. In 2003/2004 the Marine Park Authority
took the initiative with diving operators, local authorities and NGO's in the
area to declare it as a special environmentally managed area in order to
minimize the impacts, monitor and conserve the dolphin population and control snorkeling
and diving according to best practice guidelines. The initiative was a very significant
success story and model where eco-friendly and environmental mitigation measures
applied to help both conservation and sustainable use of natural resources.

And I
can assure that the Marine Park Authority is working on repeating more good experience
and models at AbuDabab bay and similar marine sites.

BTW, There
are Three Terrestrial and Marine Protected Areas already declared in the
Egyptian Red Sea cost alone cover nearly 50.000 square K.M. and + 40 Islands.

Hope
that helps to reflect the image in Egyptian Southern Red Sea.

Regards

Sincerely: Yasser SaiedMSc. Marine Environmental Protection,Deputy Manager, Red Sea Marine Protected AreasSKYPE: YasserSaied70 P Please consider the environment before printing this email       ================================================================Bbe green, read from the screen