[Coral-List] sport fishing restrictions - suggestions

Shortfin Mako Shark shortfin_mako_shark at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 30 13:16:47 EST 2013

I personally enjoy working with recreational and commercial fishermen. I have always believed in the phylosophy of engaging interested stakeholders with scientist. In my opinion, it provides a mechansim for the exchange of information. Actually, many fishermen know more about a species than many fish biologists. It also provides a way for the public "Joe fishermen" to be part of the process. The NMFS does have strategic plan for recreational fisheries where the do highlight cooperative efforts. However, the agencies usually focus on developing grant opportunities for researchers focusing on commercial fisheries, so many of the recreational/science colloborations have been through other non-goverment groups, such as the Guy Harvey Foundation. I would encourage more reef-fish biologist to work with recreational anglers. For instance, I know that many anglers in the Gulf can predict, with a week or so, when snappers spawn.

In the U.S., many of the Councils and Advisory Panels that work with NMFS consist of a few recreational anglers, but most of the public is not currently part of the public process. Every now and then recreational anglers become very engaged in the process; Check the recent petition to list the white marlin under the Endangered Species Act.

Juan

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author. If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error.