[Coral-List] WIO Blenny ID

Victoria Sindorf vsindorf at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 14:41:20 EDT 2013

I have been making an initial study of rocky intertidal fish on the
Kenyan north coast and encountered a species of Blenniidae that I
cannot identify using any reef fish guide or fishbase.org.  Does
anyone have experience with Western Indian Ocean blennies and want to
take a shot at identifying it?

Main characteristic features seem to be a bright pink or salmon
colored half-moon shape on the operculum,  a pair of very long cirri
sitting high on the head, a very tall, continuous dorsal fin with a
translucent pattern, and a light/dark banding occurring only along the
dorsal portion of the body, not extending to the midline. It was seen
in intertidal pool habitat, hanging out on ledges and acting like a
rockskipper.

I have a very clear picture of it, please email me and I'll pass it
along since I can't attach it here.

Any information on an ID for this blenny (or in fact WIO blennies/
gobies in general) would be very helpful as resources are severely
lacking.

Thanks,
Tori Sindorf
ARocha Kenya Marine Programme