[Coral-List] Strange algae reported by divers (Bastiaan Vermonden)

George Stoyle gstoyle at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 20:22:45 EST 2013

Bastiaan,

I've just seen something similar to this in the southern Red Sea
(http://www.earthinfocus.com/GWS-1808.jpg). It looks a little like a
mat tunicate fairly common in the Caribbean called Trididemnum
solidum. It's tricky to say for sure because of the blue colour-caste
in your photo, but looks more like the Red Sea species which I
tentatively identified as Diplosoma viridis.

I'd be interested to know what else you find out about it as

Cheers,
George