[Coral-List] Strange algae reported by divers

Abigail Moore abigail2105 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 2 00:07:14 EST 2013

Dear Bastiaan

I am not entirely sure but this looks very similar to the sort of blue-green algae (people here call it "lumut") which often covers large areas of coral reefs (and other benthic cover - whatever is there) in Palu Bay and which we have also seen in some areas of Tomini Bay during periods of hot calm weather, especially near nutrient sources (e.g. household waste/sewage or intensive rice-farming areas). It seems to be especially prevalent near the outlet of the powerplant cooling water in Palu Bay. Colour can be grey to black, purplish (from almost black to sometimes quite bright purple) or dark greenish. It can spread very rapidly and usually also disappears quite rapidly when the weather changes. Some of the corals covered bleach and die but most seem to recover although they can be rather pale at first when uncovered again. However this short-term smothering did seem to seriously impede the recovery of reefs where most corals were still juveniles
 after  severe COTS attacks in Palu Bay.

All the best

Abigail

Abigail Moore
Sekolah Tinggi Perikanan dan Kelautan (STPL)
Palu, Central Sulawesi, Indonesia

Message: 1