[Coral-List] Aiptasia sp bleaching induced and reinfection with zooxanthellae

Emma Gibbons gibbons.e.l at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 23:17:38 EST 2013

Angelica

Great enthusiasm, yet expulsion of zooxanthellae is a stress response
and thus, however you conduct this experiment there is a penitential
for mortality.

Aposymbiotic animals can be generated by several repetitions of the
following process: cold-shocking by addition of 4°C circulating
artificial seawater (ASW) and incubation at 4°C for 4 h, followed by
1–2 days of treatment at ~25°C in ASW containing the photosynthesis
inhibitor diuron (Sigma-Aldrich) at 50 μM. After recovery for several
weeks in ASW in the light (~12:12 light: dark) at ~25°C, putatively
aposymbiotic anemones were inspected by fluorescence microscopy to
confirm the complete absence of dinoflagellates (whose bright
chlorophyll autofluorescence is conspicuous when they are present) and
were then cultured in separate tanks as described for the stock
culture above. - Erik M Lehnert, Matthew S Burriesci and John R
Pringle 2012 Developing the anemone Aiptasia as a tractable model for
cnidarian dinoflagellate symbiosis: the transcriptome of aposymbiotic
A. pallida BMC Genomics, 13:271 Page 2 of 10 OPEN ACCESS @
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/13/271

Personally, there are more viable (easy) ways for students to study
climate change and many excellent documentaries showing the 'bleaching
response' in coral and anemones 'in-situ'.