[Coral-List] Gene Shinn - Memoir

William Precht william.precht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 11:04:09 EDT 2013

Dear Coral List:

I would like to take this opportunity to alert the coral list to a book
that will be available to the public on April 9th entitled "Bootstrap
Geologist -- My Life in Science," by Gene Shinn, published by the
University Press of Florida.

As you all know, Gene is a REGULAR contributor to the Coral-List; however,
what many do not know are the details of his ground-breaking career as a
carbonate and coral reef geologist that dates back to the 1950s.  This
memoir takes us for a ride throughout his amazing career.  Having read an
early copy, I believe this book is a must read.

We often throw around comments about how young scientists stand on the
shoulders of those who came before -- in Gene's case we are truly standing
on the shoulder of a giant!  I saw this first hand last year when one of my
daughter's was presenting a poster session on *Acropora* coral growth at a
scientific meeting and she and Gene started to discuss his 1966 award
winning paper on that subject - she then pulled a copy of that very
paper out of her file and asked him to sign it. This was an awesome
exchange...

Get a copy of this book and enjoy the ride... BP

"... Taking readers around the globe as well as below the ocean, he
recounts the painstaking process of data gathering that can lead to
paradigm-breaking discoveries. He emphasizes the importance of field
science and pointedly addresses the use and abuse of scientific research
and the emergence of market-funded research."

http://upf.com/book.asp?id=SHINN001