[Coral-List] Was CITES a game-changer for online outreach at fisheries and wildlife conservation management meetings?

David Shiffman david.shiffman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 10:32:29 EDT 2013

Hello, everyone!

The recent CITES meeting made history for many reasons, including the first
time a commercially exploited species of shark was protected by the
Convention.

CITES COP16 was also noteworthy because of the extent that online outreach
efforts were incorporated. This allowed interested citizens all over the
world to follow along (and to some degree, participate in the discussion)
in real time. Interested citizens could follow not only the debates over
the policies made by delegates in attendance, but live expert commentary on
those debates from scientists and policy experts.

I've written a blog post summarizing online outreach efforts at CITES,
along with my suggestions, predictions, and hopes for online outreach at
future wildlife conservation and fisheries management meetings.

The post can be found here:

http://www.southernfriedscience.com/?p=14515

Please share with interested colleagues and friends.

I welcome feedback on these ideas either as a comment on the blog or via
e-mail. If you're willing, blog comments would be preferable because they
allow others to see and participate in the discussion.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

--

*David Shiffman*
*Ph.D. Student, Research Assistant,*

[image: RJD]

*e: *david.shiffman at gmail.com | *p: *412.915.2309
*a: *4600 Rickenbacker Cswy, Miami, Florida, 33149
*t: *@WhySharksMatter <http://twitter.com/#!/WhySharksMatter> | *b: *Southern
Fried Science Blog <http://www.southernfriedscience.com/>