[Coral-List] Special issue of Galaxea, JCRS containing Dr. Siro Kawaguti's original works <JCRS S. Kawaguti working group

井口 亮 wiguchi at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 22 07:41:01 EDT 2013

Dear Coral-list subscribing members,
It is our great pleasure to announce a special issue of Galaxea (S14) containing the English-translated articles originally written in Japanese by the Late Dr. Siro Kawaguti.
His distinguished achievement, such as identification and culture of coral-origin zooxanthellae, studies of coral fluorescent pigments, and observation for behavior of coral juveniles, became the foundation of modern coral reef biology. These original and prominent works are widely recognized through Dr. Kawaguti’s nine articles in the English journal “Palao Tropical Biological Station Studies” published in 1937 and 1941. However, the noteworthy observations and experiments that formed young Dr. Kawaguti’s thoughts were documented as 27 reports in the Japanese journal “Kagaku Nanyo (Science of the South Sea)” published in 1940, 1941 and 1942. We believe these Japanese reports based on his unique perspectives and insights should be shared widely.
Here, we are proudly announcing the free web version of the special issue of Galaxea (14S) to you with great joy.https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/browse/galaxea/14/Supplement/_contents
We wish you to share these historical reports by Dr. Kawaguti with your colleagues around you.Sincerely yours,
Siro Kawaguti Working Group of the Japanese Coral Reef Society; Takanori Satoh, Akira Iguchi, Ken Okaji, Takashi Nakamura
March 22, 2013