[Coral-List] To Dennis Hubbard (What agency should list corals under the Endangered)

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Thu Mar 28 17:09:01 EDT 2013

I think the biggest difference between the natural sciences and the social sciences might be in our views of what is sustainable...  Many of us natural scientists think that the terms "sustainable development"  or "sustainable exploitation of resources"  are oxymorons!   There is nothing sustainable about human development or exploitation as long as human population growth is not halted and human population size is greatly reduced.

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Professor of Marine Biology
Center for Marine Science and Dept of Biology and Marine Biology
University of North Carolina Wilmington
5600 Marvin Moss Ln
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
tel:  910-962-2362  fax: 910-962-2410  cell: 910-200-3913
http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta