[Coral-List] What agency should list corals under the Endangered, species act?

Dwayne Meadows (NOAA Federal) dwayne.meadows at noaa.gov
Fri Mar 29 07:40:52 EDT 2013

Gene suggests DOC has more of a conflict than DOI in administering the
ESA.  Gene seems to have forgotten the debacle of Julie MacDonald,  the
deputy assistant secretary for Fish and Wildlife and Parks at the United
States Department of the Interior (i.e., directly overseeing the Fish
and Wildlife Service that implements ESA for mostly terrestrial and
freshwater species) from 2004 until she was forced to resign in 2007.
Google her name if you want to read the gory details of her ESA
interference.  Before the current administration NOAA had very few
political appointees but that has been changing.

Gene also asserts DOC and NOAA are not likely to ban or regulate
products, or activities, that may negatively affect commerce, and he
specifically mentions pesticides as an example.  Gene seems to be
unaware this is exactly what NOAA is trying to do under the ESA.  Under
the ESA NOAA Fisheries is responsible for administering Section 7 of the
ESA that requires other Federal agencies to consider their activities
for effects on endangered species and if there are potential effects to
consult with NOAA Fisheries (or FWS for their species).  If those
activities are determined to jeopardize the continued existence of
listed species, or result in the destruction or adverse modification of
critical habitat, case modifications to the activities may be needed for
them to go forward.  For the past 5 years NOAA Fisheries has been
consulting with the Environmental Protection Agency, one of those other
Federal agencies supposed to be looking out for human and ecosystem
health, and has made dozens of determinations that almost 20 pesticides
THAT ARE CURRENTLY IN USE, are jeoepardizing ESA listed salmon in the
Pacific Northwest.  NOAA has suggested modifications to the use of many
of these chemicals to lessen their impact on listed species.
Implementation of these modifications is the subject of ongoing
litigation.  You can find more details at:
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/consultation/pesticides.htm  (Note I do not
work in that area of ESA implementation).

You might ask what about pesticides in coral reef areas.  Well there  is
a funny thing about the requirement for Federal agencies to consider
their effects on ESA listed species.  The law does not allow NOAA or the
Fish and Wildlife Service to force other agencies to consider those
impacts and consult with their experts.  Only that agency's leadership,
the White House, and/or lawsuits by private citizens, businesses,  or
non-profits can make that happen.  In the case of the Pacific Northwest
salmon pesticide consultations,  the consultations only happened after
the Northwest Coalition for Alternatives to Pesticides sued, EPA had not
been willing to do it on their own accord, for many years and
administrations as I understand it.  And yes research on endangered
species can and is routinely approved if it benefits the species.

The pesticide issue is even more timely as yesterday the Natural
Resources Defense Council issued a report detailing that as much as 65%
of 16,000 pesticide chemicals have been allowed on the market by EPA
through a loophole  "conditional registration" process where full data
on health and other effects are not required on first use.  see
http://www.nrdc.org/health/pesticides/flawed-epa-approval-process.asp

Dwayne

Dwayne Meadows, Ph.D.
Species of Concern National Program Coordinator
Office of Protected Resources (F/PR3)
National Marine Fisheries Service
1315 East West Highway
Silver Spring, MD 20910