[Coral-List] Is or isn't Lionfish safe to eat, that's the question

RainbowWarriorsInternational southern_caribbean at yahoo.com
Tue May 7 01:12:37 EDT 2013

See: Food Safety: http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2013/03/fda-adds-lionfish-to-list-of-fish-that-may-carry-ciguatoxins/#.UW1Gib8s5ZF
    Food Safety News
    FDA Adds Lionfish to List of Fish That May Carry Ciguatoxins
    Issues ciguatera guidelines for industry
    BY NEWS DESK |  MARCH 26, 2013

When we sent this to the Aruban press we got a big backlash from the Government and the Aruba Marine Park Foundation saying this was all nonsense!!! It so happened there was a huge Lionfish hunt and cookout on April 30 with more than a 1,000 people in Aruba sampling cooked Lionfish including many a tourist.

Is this foolish or what? At heart is the fact that the "science" behind this is being seriously questioned in Aruba.

Any comments on the actual food safety are welcome.

Milton Ponson, President
Rainbow Warriors Core Foundation
(Rainbow Warriors International)
Tel. +297 568 5908
PO Box 1154, Oranjestad
Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
Email: southern_caribbean at yahoo.com
http://www.rainbowwarriors.net

To unite humanity in a global society dedicated to a sustainable way of life