[Coral-List] Alert Diver Article on proposed coral listing

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Tue May 14 12:09:26 EDT 2013

Elevated temperatures have already killed 50 % or more of corals all over the world, affected reproduction rates, larval survivorship, and recruitment..  Ocean acidification effects won't be measureable in the ocean until another 50 years or so (SW pH of 7.8 before you can measure any biologically significant effect, and doesn't kill corals just slows down calcification rates).

Which do you think we need to worry about?

Alina  Szmant

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Professor of Marine Biology
Center for Marine Science and Dept of Biology and Marine Biology
University of North Carolina Wilmington
5600 Marvin Moss Ln
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
tel:  910-962-2362  fax: 910-962-2410  cell: 910-200-3913
http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta