[Coral-List] warming, acidification, reefs and CO2

Michael Risk riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Wed May 15 09:30:39 EDT 2013

Hello Peter, colleagues…

I second my colleague's perspicacity and courage, and point out that, in his message, is one of the keys as to why we are losing this battle.

Peter correctly refers to the Alberta deposits as "Tar Sands." Tar sands, not oil sands.

These deposits are, to those on this list, Devonian reefal oil which migrated up-dip, got trapped and oxidized in estuarine sands. They were known since forever to the natives, then written up and described by a pantheon of the heroic early explorers of Canada's west: Alexander MacKenzie, David Thompson, John Franklin.

There is not a drop of oil in them-but there is a lot of tar, or bitumen. In exploitable zones, the grade runs maybe 10%.

In short, they were, properly, Tar Sands for 200 years. Then a few years ago, some PR flack for the oil companies decided "tar" sounded dirty, and decided they would be henceforth referred to as "oil sands." This had the enthusiastic support of our federal government. (I used to poke fun at the American government-now I hang my head in shame at ours.)

If you get on the various sanitized sites, you will hear justification of "oil sands" because "tar is a man-made substance." (I couldn't make this stuff up. I mean, have they not heard of the La Brea 10W-30 Pits?) This mind-management has now become so prevalent that one almost never hears of these deposits properly referred to-it's all oil sands. Bad science driving out good.

Now, cast our minds back a decade or so, to when Big Oil hired a whole swack of PR flacks from the tobacco companies, and told them to go forth and sow doubt-just as they had done for the evils of smoking. These guys did a wonderful job, found some "scientists" who could be bought, or rented. Threw up confusion where none should have existed, and led a large part of the North American populace around by the nose. One of these just posted to this list, called GW the new snakeoil.

The fundamental problem is, we know (most of us) deep down that what we are doing is not sustainable. We are human, and easily led, so that when someone comes along, some genuine snakeoil salesman selling fake goods, we leap to believe them.

Mike