[Coral-List] Peer review in coral reef science

Shortfin Mako Shark shortfin_mako_shark at yahoo.com
Mon May 20 13:11:04 EDT 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience. I think we all know that the peer-review process is often too time-consuming, harsh, and unrealistic. I have found it very interesting that most journals do not usually accept articles that have no conclusive findings, and they never accept articles where the author(s) could not find any statistical significant differences between or among factors. I thought that science was not only the sharing of knowledge, but a building block for future science? Some journals go as far as only publishing "glamour" , trendy, or popular science type articles. The whole publishing "system" has been very disappointing. Instead of worrying about how an author did or did not organize their findings in the way the reviewer prefers they should really concentrate on whether any ethical standards were violated. I once read a great article about the ethical standards of publishing and I always follow the standards for first, second, and
 third authorship. I personally know many folks that have been second and third author on an article and all they did was review the article. This approach does not meet the ethical standards. Lastly, I prefer submitting to journals that use the double-blind approach, because some reviewers look at the name of the author(s) and either go to easy or to hard on their reviews based on the name. I could go rant some more, but I think we are all aware of these issues.

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author. If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error.