[Coral-List] Is or isn't Lionfish safe to eat, that is the question?

Jennifer Chapman jen at blueventures.org
Wed May 22 09:07:06 EDT 2013

Everything I have read indicates that, in short, lionfish is *at least* as
safe to eat as other reef predators (snapper, grouper, barracuda).

A PhD being undertaken by Christie Wilcox (University of Hawaii) shows that
scorpaenitoxins, found within lionfish venom, provide a false positive for
ciguatera during bioassays. Mark Hixon reported to Caribbean lionfish
co-listers in March that “only mass spectrophotometer tests can reliably
determine whether lionfish are ciguatoxic, so such definitive tests should
be encouraged before spreading perhaps false information that would hamper
lionfish control efforts”.

The study which showed a large proportion of lionfish exceeding FDA
standards for ciguatera toxin concentrations utilised this aforementioned
bioassay technique, not spectrophotometry.

In Guadeloupe, a known ciguatera area, 100 volunteers ate lionfish samples,
with none displaying symptoms of ciguatera food poisoning. It is also worth
noting that Traditional Fisheries, the world’s only commercial supplier of
lionfish to the USA, has had no cases of ciguatera poisoning from over 9
tons of lionfish sold.

Blue Ventures is working with fishing cooperatives to promote the
development of lionfish market in Belize. A fully-developed market for
lionfish meat would provide an economic incentive to increase culling
effort, whilst also providing an alternative, sustainable, fisheries target
with no seasonal closures or size limit restrictions.

*Jennifer K. Chapman*
*Country Coordinator*
*Blue Ventures*
*Belize, C.A.*
*
*

Today's Topics:

   1. Is or isn't Lionfish safe to eat, that is the question?
      (Rudy Bonn)

Message: 1