[Coral-List] Coral Reef Research Intern
manager at reefresearch.org
Thu May 23 09:49:15 EDT 2013
TITLE: Coral Reef Research Intern
The Central Caribbean Marine Institute seeks to hire an enthusiastic intern to a) assist with underwater surveys and laboratory experiments, b) maintain the Coral Reef Early Warning System (CREWS), c) provide support to various research activities, and d) actively engage in the outreach mission of the Little Cayman Research Station.
QUALIFICATIONS: Masters’ degree in Marine Sciences or a related field, and Dive master certificate (preferred)
a) Demonstrated experience in running laboratory experiments
b) Ability to conduct research independently and as part of a team
c) Proficiency in experimental design and statistical analyses
d) Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills
e) Interest in becoming part of a small island community, and have experience living in remote locations
TERM: 6 Months (possibility of extension)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Maintenance of the Coral Reef Early Warning System - CREWS and data management
· Work with the Director of Operations to maintain, calibrate, and monitor the CREWS buoy and instrumentation.
· Deploy, maintain, and calibrate the Acoustic Doppler Profiler (ADP), Ph Sensor (SeaFET), temperature loggers (HOBO), and other instruments when required.
· Download the data logged by the above instruments, and ensure these are organised in databases that are easily accessible for research staff at CCMI.
· Conduct preliminary graphic and statistical analyses to describe the temporal patterns of pH, temperature and other parameters measured by the CREWS and linking this dataset with the biological datasets.
· Participate in regular lab meetings presenting your analyses to CCMI research staff and develop your ideas on using the CREWS data in conjunction with biological data.
Technical duties in the new wet lab
· Assist the coral reef scientist in the installation and maintenance of ocean acidification experiments.
· Develop a schedule and log book for the maintenance and calibration of all instruments related with the CO2 system and aquariums.
· Keep aquariums and laboratories clean and organized.
· Monitor physical and chemical parameters of seawater in experimental and control aquariums. Assist in the collection of fish, algae and corals for experimental aquariums.
· Assist in the collection of fish, algae and corals for experimental aquariums.
· Assist the coral reef scientist in the collection of data in the ocean acidification experiments
Support to other CCMI research activities
· Assist with collecting, processing, and archiving coral, fish, and algae data as part of the long-term monitoring project. Assistance in developing a manual will also be needed.
· Assist in monitoring biological, physical and chemical parameters for the Climate Change and Coral Reef Stress (ocean acidification) project.
Assist the coral reef scientist with different stages of research projects and publications (e.g. literature review, data collection and preliminary analyses).
Be a dive assistant for projects including the coral nursery and for other elements of the climate change project.
Provide information to feed reports required for sponsors.
Support to outreach and general duties of the centre
Keep labs clean, organized and inventoried.
Assist the Coral Reef Scientist with compiling information for reports, and public relations, social media and our website.
Promote the organization through monthly outreach activities that could include tours of the facilities, reef lectures, and participation in educational courses.
Assist the Director of Operations with other duties at the station
Please send a cover letter (briefly addressing each selection criteria), and your CV with references to ccmiapplications at reefresearch.org by June 14 - 2013.
More information about the Coral-List