[Coral-List] CCMI Conservation Intern Job

CCMI manager at reefresearch.org
Fri Nov 8 11:20:51 EST 2013

2014 Central Caribbean Marine Institute - Conservation Intern Job

The Central Caribbean Marine Institute seeks to hire a Conservation Intern whose primary role will be to assist with the conservation research projects at the Little Cayman Research Centre.  The Conservation Intern will assist in the collection of field and laboratory data primarily on our coral nursery, lionfish, and long-term monitoring projects (benthic and fish monitoring, juvenile coral monitoring, Coral Reef Early Warning System (CREWS), ocean chemistry monitoring).  Other responsibilities include data entry and management, analysis, report writing, and assisting with the maintenance of our CREWS. All staff are required to contribute to the day-to-day activities and maintenance of an active research station including keeping the facilities and laboratories clean, inventoried, and supplied.

We seek an individual ideally with a Master’s degree preferably in marine ecology or oceanography with a high level of SCUBA diving experience, and trained in coral reef fish and coral identification, with basic statistical analysis, computer graphics, proven data analysis and internet skills. The successful applicant will be versatile, mature, and with strong interpersonal team skills.  The post requires someone who is a self-motivated and independent thinker.  We seek an individual who is capable of contributing meaningful assistance to our small team of coral reef scientists.

The Conservation Intern reports directly to the Field Operations Manager and primarily assists the Conservation Coordinator.

Job Duration: 6 months – 1 year; Six day work week, work during versatile hours may be required.

Conservation Intern Responsibilities Include work on the following:

·       Lionfish Research & Conservation Project

·       Coral Nursery Project

·       Long Term Assessment and Monitoring Program

·       Coral Reef Early Warning System Buoy – Calibrations and Maintenance

·       Data Management and Analysis

·       Social Media and Outreach

Skills and Qualities Required

·       Excellent Caribbean fish identification skills

·       Excellent Caribbean coral identification skills

·       Strong scientific diving skills

·       Experience conducting field surveys on SCUBA

·       Strong organizational and interpersonal skills

·       Strong written and verbal communication skills

·       Self-motivated, enthusiastic and team player

·       Ability to adapt to a frequently-changing schedule

·       Familiarity with Microsoft Office programs, graphics (newsletters), and basic statistics

Benefits: Work and live on Little Cayman, Cayman Islands.  Monthly stipend, Travel allowance ($250), Room and 3 meals/day at the field station, health insurance upon completion of temporary work period.

Contact:  ccmiapplications at reefresearch.org

Application: Submit a letter and CV (with a list of 3 references) via email.  Applicants will be reviewed upon receipt.  Application deadline November 30th.  Preferred start date January 1, 2014.

CCMI is an equal opportunity employer

Director of Operations
Central Caribbean Marine Institute
Little Cayman Research Centre
P.O. Box 37
Little Cayman, KY3-2501
Phone: (345) 948-1094, 321-8732
www.reefresearch.org

Sustaining biodiversity through research, education, outreach and conservation