[Coral-List] An Open Letter to the Scuba Diving Industry

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 18 15:31:08 EST 2013

   Expressing my opinions via an open letter to the diving industry was just my
   way of venting. You are right
   to assume that it is unlikely to be helpful to my (our) cause, but it sure
   made me feel better to express
   in words the frustrations that have been building up for some time. If I
   could just take a moment to address
   your points of criticism: 1) I addressed it to "Industry Leaders". I could
   have listed names, but if I could
   target a specific entity, it would likely be the DEMA board. 2) I signed "A
   Concerned Diver" because I feel
   it is not just reflective of my perspective; it represents the views of many
   divers that I know.  3) As for being
   condescending; I hope not, but if you are referring to my attitude towards
   the industry it remains and will remain
   critical until things change. I realize that climate change and OA has
   become politicized, but that's not my
   concern. If I wanted to recognize the facts as to how these issues relate to
   coral reef ecosystems I would
   consult  with  the  experts.  The  experts in this case are coral reef
   scientists. Among them are many members
   of this list. I can't read everything and perhaps I'm not privy to all the
   information, but I haven't found one paper
   that does not show considerable concern for the impending impacts of climate
   change and OA that has been written
   by a coral expert. Perhaps there are skeptics and deniers among marine
   biologists who study corals, but I have yet to
   read their work. It could be that dive industry leaders simply find comfort
   in the views of the small percentage of
   non-coral related scientists who perpetuate the debate because it falls in
   line with their political and economic beliefs.
   And if so, I will continue to suggest that they consult and respond to the
   science rather than the noise.
   Steve