[Coral-List] The Diving Industry and Ocean Conservation

Gina Davenport vsdavenp at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 17:17:31 EST 2013

This is in response to Mr. Mussman’s comments about DEMA and the National
Ocean Policy (NOP).

Years ago I worked as PADI Scuba Instructor as well as a Marine Park Dive
Volunteer.  I was always disappointed by the lack of conservation efforts
from the dive industry.  Although PADI has their successful Project AWARE,
it seems they are more concerned with selling the Project AWARE
certifications than getting divers and dive retailers involved with on the
ground conservation.

Now it’s really disappointing to hear DEMA is opposing the National Ocean
Policy and parroting an oil industry front group who oppose the National
Ocean Policy by making unfounded claims of restriction on access and fees,
none of which have been proposed.  DEMA needs to get it straight and
support a healthy ocean and better ocean management.

The Healthy Oceans Coalition <https://healthyoceanscoalition.org/> is a
network of ocean users, conservationists, and concerned citizens supporting
full implementation of the National Ocean Policy for the stewardship of our
oceans, coasts and Great Lakes.  Feel free to contact me or HOC if you have
any questions.

Regards,

Gina Davenport

PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer