[Coral-List] NGOs, Corals and Dive Industry

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Fri Nov 22 16:45:12 EST 2013

In fact I do love my old Uwatek dive computer much better than all these new fangled ones...

Also, not all diving happens on coral reefs (thank goodness!).  I remember going out to the coral reefs off of Cairns on the GBR on one of those big dive boats and seeing the coral heads near the anchorages trashed by all the careless 'love' of mostly snorkelers but also divers.

And yes, I think events like the lobster madness/reef destruction rodeo that is known as the "Lobster min-season" in the FKNMS should be banned.

And we are at it, the sale and use of spear guns in coral reef areas should be banned!  The few large fishes still out there are needed to maintain the important ecological function known as 'predation' that is integral to the health and well-being of coral reef ecosystems.

BTW, touching corals gently does not kill them.  In fact anyone who has grown corals in aquaria knows that you can handle them daily to clean and feed and they will thrive.  It's the bashing them with your fins and tanks, or dropping an anchor on them that does the harm.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." Eleanor Roosevelt

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Professor of Marine Biology
Center for Marine Science and Dept of Biology and Marine Biology
University of North Carolina Wilmington
5600 Marvin Moss Ln
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
tel:  910-962-2362  fax: 910-962-2410  cell: 910-200-3913
http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta