[Coral-List] The Diving Industry and Ocean Conservation

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 25 12:01:35 EST 2013

   "DEMA is not supportive of the NOP, because they distrust the players and
   motives, and there are some parts of the NOP they don't like at all."
   Mel,

   DEMA  has a simple mandate to follow. The organization is charged with
   promoting sustainable  growth  of  the  industry, but it is allowing a
   dilemma to develop because it appears to view this objective to either be in
   conflict with or subordinate to their simultaneous obligation to protect the
   underwater  environment. In my view there needs to be more balance and
   further that to oppose a policy like the NOP only reinforces the perception
   that they fail to recognize that their two primary objectives are in fact
   inseparable and innately linked. Although DEMA points out that they are not
   members of the National Ocean Policy Coalition, they have clearly partnered
   with this organization and in doing so have sided with a number of special
   interests that are not encumbered by commitments to conserve and protect
   natural aquatic resources. So while I can sympathize with the concerns
   of extraction   industries   and   others   as  they  contemplate  the
   policy's implementation, I can find no legitimate reason for DEMA to view
   the policy with comparable distrust and skepticism.

   Regards,

    Steve