[Coral-List] Artificial Reefs

Yuko Stender marinelifephotography at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 15:12:03 EDT 2013

Hi Rachel,

I am currently working with coastal engineers who are interested in
designing a multipurpose reef.
I came across papers/studies discussing ecological perspectives on coastal
defense structures and their roles on benthic community development in
Mediterranean and Arabian Sea.
I will send you a list of these if you are interested in.
I find Dennis's experience very interesting and agree with a point he
made.  Reef community development is complex and influenced by a number of
factors.  Community responses are depended on various temporal and spatial
scales and these may differ at each proposed site.  As far as I understand,
a number of studies are still limited for evaluating a design and
ecological roles of engineered large coastal structures as a multipurpose
reef in long-term.

Yuko Stender
Graduate student
University of Hawaii at Manoa