[Coral-List] Climate change in the ocean

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 17 15:23:09 EDT 2013

   Ulf,
   I don't propose to speak for the authors of this article, but from what I
   understand although meteorological observation journals date back at least
   to the early 18th century, 1860 is considered the beginning of the "modern"
   instrumental epoch period. Oceanographic records including ocean surface
   temperatures, ph and oxygen levels have a similar time-frame of reference.
   Of course selecting a particular time period is also a common means used to
   cherry-pick data to fit one's hypothesis, but as I am sure you are well
   aware  this technique is most often used by climate change deniers not
   reputable scientists like those involved in this study. In addition, whether
   temperatures have been warmer or colder in the past 10,000 years is largely
   irrelevant to the impacts of the contemporary warming or it's human imprint.
   Regards,
    Steve