[Coral-List] Upcoming small-scale fisheries and TURFs Database

Katie Peterson kpeterson at bren.ucsb.edu
Fri Oct 18 18:14:54 EDT 2013

DiscoverTURFs is working to create a comprehensive and centralized database
for Territorial Use Rights Fisheries (TURFs) worldwide, and we need your
help. If you have information about a small-scale fishery that classifies
as a TURF, please follow the link below to take our survey. Then, we will
send you $5 simply for completing it!

DiscoverTURFs Survey: http://tinyurl.com/discoverturfs
<http://tinyurl.com/nyn82qh>

This survey should take less than 30 minutes to complete. Please note that
you will need to create a SeaSketch account to access the survey. Both
English and Spanish versions are available.

 Not sure if a fishery classifies as a TURF?

If there is a boundary and only certain users are given exclusive access to
fish within that boundary, it’s a TURF.

Prizes

Not only will we send you $5, you will have access to all the information
gathered through this survey. We will also put you in the running to win
one of two prizes! Winners will be announced in November 2013.

o   Win full registration fee coverage for one person to the 2014 World
Small-Scale Fisheries Congress in Merida, Mexico September 21-25, 2014. An
over $300 value. For details please visit http://toobigtoignore.net/?p=924

o   Win a $100 cash prize.

More about DiscoverTURFs

Created by a group of master’s students at the University of California,
Santa Barbara, DiscoverTURFs is currently conducting a survey about TURFs.
Ultimately, the information gathered through the survey will be used to
create an interactive map with information about individual TURFs around
the world. The map will be free and available to everyone. Visit
DiscoverTURFs.com <http://www.discoverturfs.com/> to learn how you can help
develop an online community that fosters learning and communication to help
improve fisheries management around the world.

We appreciate your time and look forward to working with you to create an
online community to help small fishing communities everywhere.

Thanks!

The DiscoverTURFs Team

--

DiscoverTURFs