[Coral-List] Behaviour event recorder for underwater observations

Charlie Dryden c.dryden at ymail.com
Mon Oct 21 07:58:16 EDT 2013

Hello all,

I am planning performing some focal observation work to
study fish behaviour in situ on coral reefs as part of my Ph.D. research. I was
hoping to use some form of event recorder or behaviour logger to assist with
the data collection. I am struggling to find something suitable for this work
and I was wondering if anyone on the list has used anything similar or if they
might be aware of anything that might work?

Work will be performed between 10-20 m depth on Caribbean
coral reefs. Therefore any device used must be waterproof to these depths. I
hope to be able to log both number of incidences of an action and duration of
that action..
1 individual will be observed for 10 – 30 minutes, depending
on time identified by preliminary work. Therefore the recorder would also need
to be able to log up to 30 minutes worth of action.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated
Regards

Charlie

Charlie Dryden
PhD Student