[Coral-List] Atificial reefs

John McManus jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Tue Oct 22 13:50:16 EDT 2013

Regarding " However, there are non-fishermen citizens who thoroughly dislike
these artificial reefs because they make it easier to catch the fish. That's
a sociological side of the issue.", I would add that many fishery scientists
are cautious about these structures, who understand that;
1. many coral reef fish that are targets of fisheries are overfished,
2. in many cases, no legal and enforcement mechanisms to keep this fishing
under control are effective enough to do so,
3. and therefore, in many cases, an important rule in managing overfishing
is "do not make it easier to catch fish".

Jeff Polovina brilliantly pointed out a fundamental flaw in the logic of
using such structures to enhance local fisheries in his short article
"Should anyone build reefs?" (Bulletin of Marine Science 1989
44(2):1056-1057). Given that overfishing implies a substantial reduction in
a fish population, which therefore frees up substantial habitat for newly
settling fish, why would anyone think that the best strategy to getting more
fish would be to create more habitat?

However, this does not in itself rule out the idea of creating new habitats
for reef fish far from existing reefs , as Gene implies. Clearly such
habitats do provide settling spaces for larvae that would otherwise not
survive. If anyone sees a large grouper (more than 5 years old) present
within a couple of years of establishing the structure, as is often the
case, then that is a sign that fish are being attracted to the structure
from other areas. As I have pointed out in previous years (see archives), it
would take either an extraordinarily large artificial structure (or tight
system of smaller ones) in terms of hundreds of thousands of sq. m., or an
extremely low level of fishing, for a fishery of snappers or groupers to
continue being viable based only on fish that have recruited to the
structures as juveniles. Obviously, the fish caught on most artificial
habitats in heavily fished areas and less than a few thousand sq. m. in area
are primarily coming from other habitats. Those structures are referred to
in fisheries science as "fish attracting devices (FADs)". It is feasible
that tight systems of oil rigs or large rock barriers may provide enough
habitat area to support a sustainable fishery of reasonable size with a net
gain to fish stocks. However, I am still waiting for appropriate
quantitative fishery analyses (Schaefer analysis, Beverton-Holt analysis,
VPA, etc.) to be done on fish dwelling in such structures.

Cheers!

John

John W. McManus, PhD
Director, National Center for Coral Reef Research (NCORE)
Professor, Marine Biology and Fisheries
Coral Reef Ecology and Management Lab (CREM Lab)
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS)
University of Miami, 4600 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, 33149
jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu      http://ncore.rsmas.miami.edu/
Phone: 305-421-4814

"Far better an approximate answer to the right question, which is often
vague,
   than an exact answer to the wrong question, which can always be made
precise."

     --John Tukey, Statistician, National Medal of Science and IEEE Medal of
Honor