[Coral-List] Proliferation of Acropora prolifera

Fautin, Daphne G. fautin at ku.edu
Tue Sep 3 12:31:41 EDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,

I spoke about precisely this matter in a keynote talk at the ICCB in 1996. The citation is Fautin, Daphne Gail. 1997. Cnidarian reproduction: assumptions and their implications. Pages 151-162 in Coelenterate Biology: Proceedings of the Sixth International Congress of Coelenterate Biology, J. C. den Hartog, editor. Nationaal Natuurhistorisch Museum, Leiden.  Because attachments do not go through on this list serve, here is the URL (it and PDFs of most of my publications are available on this site, my home page): http://www.nhm.ku.edu/inverts/daphne.html.

The short answer is, if asexual reproduction is possible, sexual creation of the hybrids need seldom occur.  In evolutionary time, sexual reproduction might be important, but in ecological time, it may not be.  (And this paper may be the first published analogy of these hybrids to mules -- although hybrids of many species are not sterile.)

Sincerely,
Daphne

Daphne G. Fautin
Professor, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Curator, Natural History Museum (Biodiversity Institute)
University of Kansas
1200 Sunnyside Avenue
Lawrence, Kansas 66045 USA

telephone 1-785-864-3062
fax 1-785-864-5321
skype user name daphne.fautin
evo user name fautin
website: invertebratezoology.biodiversity.ku.edu/home
cv: www.nhm.ku.edu/inverts/daphne.html

    database of hexacorals, including sea anemones
       newest version released 2 January 2013
hercules.kgs.ku.edu/Hexacoral/Anemone2/index.cfm