[Coral-List] Proliferation of Acropora prolifera

Capman, William capman at augsburg.edu
Tue Sep 3 15:25:54 EDT 2013

I know nothing about the fertility or lack thereof of Acropora prolifera,
but for organisms in general, interspecific hybrids are not necessarily
sterile.  Some hybrids are sterile of course, but others are perfectly
fertile, and there is everything inbetween (including cases where hybrids
can reproduce with one parent species but not the other, cases where the
hybrids can interbreed with other hybrids like themselves but not with
either parent species, cases where hybrid fertility is reduced but not
eliminated completely, etc, etc, etc, etc).  There are many different
scenarios in different species, and in some groups of organisms (e.g.
plants as a prime example) interspecific hybridization events can play
important roles in the evolution of new species.